Saturday, July 25, 2009

Welcome!

Hi everybody! Welcome to my new personal blog, the blog of miscellany. This is where I write about whatever strikes my fancy. But first, let me explain...

Why did you change blogs?
My Blog About Russia was less about Russia and more about whatever happened to be on my mind at the time of writing. Before long, it stopped being related to Russia entirely. I feel that this blog's title is far more appropriate.

So what happened to the old blog?
The old posts are still up on the old blog, but, from now on, my blog about Russia will actually be a blog about Russia. It will be the place for photos, travels, observations, and information about history, language, and culture.

Where will the horrifying student conversations go?
Good question! I think they will go here because, after all, language mistakes are not unique to Russia.
I haven't worked everything out but, when in doubt, I will post here, as it is the main blog.

When are you going to write about Egypt/Costa Rica/Siberia?
I still have a lot of photos and things to write about these places, but I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to travel entries. This means that I end up waiting until looooooong after they are out of date, and then I don't bother because they're no longer relevant.
My solution to this was to create five regional blogs and update those on my own time.

Do you really expect me to check six blogs?
No. As I said, the travel blogs won't be updated as often. Check this blog. Check my sidebar for updates to the other blogs in the network.

So what are these five regional blogs? And have you really travelled to all those places?
My Blog About Russia - Of course I could write an entire blog about Moscow, which is where I live. But I have a number of other Russian cities to write about, as well.
My Blog About Eurasia (except Russia) - This covers travels in Europe and Asia outside of Russia. For me that means a number of countries in Europe, and China. I started with Turkey because that is the site of a Europe-Asia border, and the source of the banner photo.
My Blog About (the) America(s) - This blog will mostly be about visits to my home country, the USA, but it also covers any of my travel to South and Central America (which, to date, means Costa Rica).
My Blog About Africa and the Middle East - To date, this just means Egypt.
My Blog About Australasia (and maybe Antarctica) - Kind of a tough region for me to get to. This is a placeholder for now, but I'm an optimist.

Interesting! When can I expect updates?
Officially, this blog doesn't exist yet (shh!). Expect regular updating to start in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment